With the proliferation of an always-on society, robust connectivity is key. From consumers using smart devices to improve their everyday lives to businesses streamlining daily operations, poor connectivity can make or break even the most simple data transfer.
Chirp's mission is to simplify connectivity using a robust, secure, and simplified method -- sound. Our machine-to-machine communications software enables any device with a loudspeaker or microphone to exchange data via inaudible sound waves, enabling the interconnection of millions of devices in a seamless, scalable, and cost-effective way to enhance end-user experience and add value to existing hardware.
Chirp has most recently started supporting StreamUnlimited, an industry leader in embedded streaming and voice assistant SDKs, which enables its OEM customers to connect through a myriad of smart devices and music services, as well as various smart home protocol stacks.
By integrating with StreamUnlimited’s embedded software services, such as Chromecast built-in, AirPlay 2 and Spotify Connect, end consumers will be able to experience the vast affordances of utilising data-over-sound. A few of those affordances include:
- Secure data transfer: Because Chirp's acoustic connections require no internet connectivity and supports industry-standard cryptography, data transfers will not be compromised.
- Frictionless connections: Data-over-sound makes simple, frictionless connections between nearby devices without requiring any previous set up, pairing, or configuration.
- Cost-effective: End users of StreamUnlimited have the added benefit of Chirp’s integration built into its embedded systems. There’s no need for special hardware or additions to a device’s bill of materials to enable the Chirp data-over-sound functionality.
- Completely offline operation: Sound works completely peer-to-peer, or one-to-many, meaning no additional connections are needed to ‘the cloud’ or other network services.
End users of StreamUnlimited’s selection of connectivity solutions, such as Bluetooth, WiFi and RFID, will be able to use the services for:
- Wi-Fi provisioning from smartphones to smart audio device
- Device configuration from smartphones to smart audio device
- Broadcasting of application data from device to nearby smartphones
“The opportunity for audio brands to incorporate Chirp’s proven data-over-sound technology offers an exciting new dimension to enhancement of device setup and configuration,” said Markus Rutz, CTO, StreamUnlimited. “We are delighted to work with this integration as an extension of our feature portfolio and look forward to assisting in the growing number of use cases for this in the audio streaming and smart home segments,” said Rutz.
“With Chirp and StreamUnlimited’s technology combined, third party OEMs can harness new capabilities for device connectivity, unlocking the possibility for better end-user experiences,” said Chirp CEO James Nesfield.
“We will continue to partner with the best audio and DSP technology providers in the world to make sure data-over-sound is easily available to manufacturers on a wide range of CE devices. We are thrilled to bring these capabilities to StreamUnlimited customers today,” said Nesfield.
Check out our tutorial here for more information.